Tuesday, January 17, 2017

DiverseAThon TBR





DiverseAThonHello! If you've never heard of DiverseAThon, it's basically a readathon that promotes, encourages, and celebrates diverse books. If you want more info as to how it got started, click here. If you want more info on this specific readathon (starting this Sunday), check out this video. You can also follow their Twitter and check the hashtag #DiverseAThon if you wish to participate! Anyway, I read quite a few diverse books last year, and I want to read even more this year, so I'm hoping this will be a good way to start.

I bit of an important thing for me this time around is that I choose books not only with diverse characters, but also a diverse author. I've run into a few problem here and there with misrepresentation of an identity, and I'd rather not have that.

That being said, let's get started with my TBR!

If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo

Not only is this book written about a trans woman and by a trans woman, it also has a transgender woman on the cover. I can appreciate that. I'm excited to finally get into more books actually written by trans people.

Image result for if i was your girl

One Man Guy by Michael Barakiva

Finally, I read a book that's diverse in more ways than just GAYYYYY. So yeah. The main character is Armenian. While I have read a couple other books set or with characters from the Middle East, I haven't managed to get to Armenia yet. I'm excited! I read about 12 pages of it a couple weeks ago, and I'm already dying to read more.

Image result for one man guy

Being Jazz by Jazz Jennings

I don't read a lot of nonfiction. It's probably time. Why not make it trans-related? I actually meant to read this book a few months ago, but it just...never happened. I'm hoping it'll be good and quick for a readathon, though!

Image result for being jazz


Are you participating in DiverseAThon? Tell me what you're reading in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I have it narrowed down to And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hossieni, A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea by Dina Nayeri, Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley, Orange Mint and Honey by Carleen Brice and The German Girl by Armand Lucas Correa. Obviously I need to pick between them, but I can't. I might even add How Stella Got Her Groove Back since it's hanging out on my shelf unread. I tried to only use books I already own for this and follow #ownvoices.

    ReplyDelete